pool and billiards forum

pool is cool
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: ATCM 11 Jake Hulsey
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:35 am
Posts: 1198
CMD wrote:
Hello Jake,


Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.


I'm usually skeptical when I hear of cuemakers being hyped up. However, every cue I have seen pics of your designs are amazingly fresh. Your excution is only exceeded by your imagination.

I have what I think is a very hard question for you:

Please explain why other cuemakers do not take risks in cuemaking such as you have? What I mean by that is not refining existing techniques but for example your interweaving veneers.


Thanks again,
Chris



Hi Chris

Very tricky question as i've found out. I used to be of the opinion that everyone should be trying to push the envelope. Its easy for me to assume my situation is no different from others but thats not the case. I think theres a ton of different scenarios but i'll address a couple

Alot of guys feed there families with cues and taking risks such as a new idea might actually be selfish. A failure or loss of time might put a huge dent in cash flow which could further affect there family. I can't argue with that.

Alot of guys want to but are afraid of failure

Alot of guys have tunnel vision as historically we are pretty trained as to what a cue should look like.

And then of course there the scenario i addressed earlier where buyers are concerned.

I'm of the belief that everyone is capable and holds some sort of creative talent, even if its little. I bet theres a hundred guys out there who can do exactly what i do if they would just get out of there own way.

I'm a perfect example of how simply refining an existing design can be profound. Its not that the design was profound but that it had a profound effect. The design was already there, i just tweaked it.

Maybe thats another road block for folks and i know it is with me and design. I feel like i have to just sit down and design something profound and it doesnt happen that way. Its usually little bits and pcs that evolve into something. We tend to make things more complicated than they are when something simple can obviously make a big impact.

I'm not sure if anyone has the answer to that question. I do hope to see others look for oppurtunities after seeing the response it can produce.

_________________
Just because Jake doesnt know how to do it, doesnt mean it cant be done!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATCM 11 Jake Hulsey
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:35 am
Posts: 1198
pharaoh68 wrote:
Hey Jake-

1) Who is your favorite cuemaker out there today?

Another tricky one. I have many favorites as I tend to categorized them but for the sake of picking one, I think its probably obvious.

Thomas Wayne...he's a modern day Da Vinci when it comes to being clever, strategizing and having natural artistic ability. Other than that, I feel like I have become better by simply studying his work and looking beyond what is only on the surface.

2) Are there any cuemakers whose work you just don't get? (It's cool
if you don't want to answer that one)

Sure, but I can still appreciate it. The diversity among cues and cuemakers is what causes desirability. If we all did similar stuff and had similar style then cues would easily be made by factories by the millions and sold for $10 a piece.

3) Are there certain woods and materials you like to work with and those that you can't or refuse to work with?

I love ivory or anything stabilized. They machine nicely and don't move. I've been lucky so far that I've not had any adverse reaction to woods or chemicals. Other than that I pretty only refuse to use turquoise or lacewood unless its on Scott R's cue.

4) You're from Texas, right? If a short guy who looks like Gary Ridgeway shows up at your door and says "Hi! I'm Ross! I'd like a cue", what would you say?
I'd say "slip the money under the door and go the f...k away!"

5) Is there a form of bribery that might just convince you to take orders? ;-)
Build me a time mahcine

6) Are you a machinist or wood worker by trade or are you just a really, REALLY creative/artistic guy who's a fast learner?
just a fast learner, nothing special


B <-------- Kidding about #4 (but seriously. That sh*t may happen)

_________________
Just because Jake doesnt know how to do it, doesnt mean it cant be done!


Last edited by Jake on Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATCM 11 Jake Hulsey
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:35 am
Posts: 1198
Lenoxmjs wrote:
What is your favorite wood ?

Honduran Rosewood Burl. With millions of eyes
Other than that i'm a fan of anything that flows nicely. Doesn't always have to be super high end wood as long as it compliments its surroundings


Do you core all your cues?

99% of them. Theres the occasional traditional fullsplice that I won't mess with. I'm of the belief that it gives you the best chance at success and consistency. My cores are all on the same schedule as shaftwood where cuts are concerned.

What do you feel is the ideal weight for a playing cue and what would the weight split be between the butt and the shaft? Does it matter ?

Absolutely it matters. My goal for cues staying in the US is 19oz. Asian market is a little different. Usually want the butt at 15.5 and like shafts in the neighborhood of 3.6-3.8. I used to subscribe to the monster 4+ oz. shaft theory but I don't think they play as crisp as the lighter ones.

What is the standard tip you use on your cues.
Right now I usually do one shaft with a Triangle and the other with a pressed Wizard medium. I like the way both of them play after there broke in. I'm currently trying the new G2 mediums and really like them....Favorite tip is Moori M but they just aren't what they used to be.

How much wood do you have and what is your storing and ageing process for shaft wood ?
I really have no idea. Easily over a thousand pcs of hardwood and probably just under a thousand shafts. Ageing process for shafts...lol. When I first started, I was so afraid of making cuts to quick. Its one of my least favorite things to do and they usually go as long as 6 months in between cuts.

Thank You .
Matt

_________________
Just because Jake doesnt know how to do it, doesnt mean it cant be done!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATCM 11 Jake Hulsey
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:35 am
Posts: 1198
ScottR wrote:
pharaoh68 wrote:
Hey Jake-

1) Who is your favorite cuemaker out there today?

2) Are there any cuemakers whose work you just don't get? (It's cool
if you don't want to answer that one)

3) Are there certain woods and materials you like to work with and those that you can't or refuse to work with?

4) You're from Texas, right? If a short guy who looks like Gary Ridgeway shows up at your door and says "Hi! I'm Ross! I'd like a cue", what would you say?

5) Is there a form of bribery that might just convince you to take orders? ;-)

6) Are you a machinist or wood worker by trade or are you just a really, REALLY creative/artistic guy who's a fast learner?

B <-------- Kidding about #4 (but seriously. That sh*t may happen)

Too late. Already happened.

Scott



I was actually pleasantly surprised...he was very well behaved. Maybe he was just in shock after walking in the shop. It usually takes folks a minute

_________________
Just because Jake doesnt know how to do it, doesnt mean it cant be done!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATCM 11 Jake Hulsey
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:35 am
Posts: 1198
ELBeau wrote:
Jake,

When we met at the 2011 Windy City Cue Show you talked about your visits with John Davis and the fun of building your own jigs. I thought it was pretty cool to see a younger cuemaker focusing on traditional full-spliced cues. Around that same time Bob Manzino asked me if there were any cuemakers under the radar who were pushing the design envelope. Looks like we now have an answer to his question. At what point did you change direction?

That's easy, the days leading up to Thomas Wayne reminding me I wasn't the smartest guy in the room. This particular incident is where my eyes were open to a whole other ballgame so to speak. Not specific to anything technical, but more so that i'm only limited to my imagination. I guess this is where my creative wheels really started to turn

Many cuemakers have a gradual progression from converting cues to building wrapless then pointed cues, slowly moving into inlays, etc. Most never get into unique designs or axis substitution. What'd we miss?

I don't think anyone missed anything as theres benefits to both. I'd be a lot better at a lot of elementary things had I gone with the natural progression. My personality just doesn't work that way, I get bored. That's the great thing about cues, I can always do something different with them. The downside is that i'm always trying to top myself and have possibly created an expectation among the public that the next thing will be bigger and better. I actually want to try and build a couple of the sneakies like MT does without veneers. I love those and have actually not made a non-veneered blank yet.

What's your CAD program of choice and how long have you been using it?

AutoCAD, have been using it since I was 13-14. Hate these cad/cam programs that are out these days, I can hardly draw a box or a circle with that crap. To date I design in AutoCAD and pull it into the cam program to program.

What's your opinion of "Cue Design Theft?"

It aint going away and neither are the opinions that go with it......or the drama


If cuemaking is currently #10 on your priority list- what're we going to see from you if it breaks the top 5?

the same "something fresh".....hopefully just more of it


_________________
Just because Jake doesnt know how to do it, doesnt mean it cant be done!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATCM 11 Jake Hulsey
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:35 am
Posts: 1198
johnbo wrote:
Just wanted to say it was great meeting you two in hotlanta.

Opps I guess I'm supposed to ask a question..... What was yet first cue?

Keep up the good work.



.



Was good to finally meet you in person....hope all is well

First cue was made for my buddy who helped me setup my shop. I cut a dufferin off right below the points and cut 4 points over the top of it. An 8 pointer! Wrapless with A-joint and super glue finish. I later made him a fancy cue to trade for it as it is ugly as hell and every point is a different height. Still got it.

_________________
Just because Jake doesnt know how to do it, doesnt mean it cant be done!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATCM 11 Jake Hulsey
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:35 am
Posts: 1198
ThomasWayne wrote:
When I began exploring the use of CNC machinery for inlay work virtually no one else was doing it, so just about everyone at that time was using pantographs and photo-etched templates. As I started really pushing my own design envelope there were a lot of "panto" guys who wanted to promote the idea that CNC was somehow "cheating", and that the only pure form of inlay work was the old-fashioned way. They really tried to convince the cue-buying public that those of us using CNC could just shove raw lumber into one end of a big machine and pull finished cues out the other end.

That was in the 80's and 90's, but I would have figured by the year 2010+ we'd have gotten past such nonsense. Turns out I was wrong, and there are still many of cuemakers - using precision pantographs, mind you - who make big noise about their cues being "hand made".

I know you've embraced CNC pretty much from the beginning, and I'd be very interested in hearing your experiences and thoughts on why you personally have chosen that direction and what you see to be the difference between CNC versus non-CNC cuemaking.

TW


First, i'll say that before cnc I kinda had the same opinion. "not hand made" Boy did that change. I now know why you specifically refer to it as "just another tool"

It can achieve near perfection or absolute slop and its all dictated by the guy using the tool

I'll use my ICCS cue for example...certainly any cue could be used but it is unique in that it had as many hours of handwork if not more than the actual cnc.

I'm quite certain that the machine cut every part, pocket and profile to near perfection based on my experience and my strategy in programming. Accuracy to a thousandth of an inch or less. So theoretically all of these parts should just fall and fit in the cue perfectly but they don't.

A lot of the rotary parts "after being cut by the cnc" required me to relieve "hand carve/sand" there lower most edge of the part to be able to get them to properly snap into the pocket. At that point I was at the mercy of my hands as the parts are fragile and a sense of craftsmanship really comes into play. The magic cnc cant beat this situation any way you look at it when a part wraps more than 180 degrees around the cue. Next was the .013 silver strip. The machine of course did its job where this was concerned but I was nowhere near prepared for what was required of my hands. I ruined more than half of a 10 foot roll before I looked for a better route. When forming and pressing the silver into the cue the slightest mishap or pressure in the wrong direction would roll the silver over and crease it making it useless for its intended spot in the cue. The list goes on and anyone who uses cnc in some for or fashion can likely agree its a long list.

My point is that its positively only a tool and it does not spit out a sexy finished product because you can draw a pretty picture. I also think theres as much craftsmanship in strategizing and figuring tolerances for your program as there is if you were using a hammer and chisel.

_________________
Just because Jake doesnt know how to do it, doesnt mean it cant be done!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATCM 11 Jake Hulsey
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:35 am
Posts: 1198
PBat51 wrote:
With Jimmy asking all the questions how does that leave any for the rest of us?


What precautions do you take when applying your finish?


I've got a spray booth in the shop...when you turn it on it will basically suck the breath out of you so theres no real chance of breathing anything in...I literally cant open the door to get out when its turned on. I'm hoping that with technology progressing like it is that it wont be long before theres a not so toxic car finish that will produce the same results.

_________________
Just because Jake doesnt know how to do it, doesnt mean it cant be done!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATCM 11 Jake Hulsey
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:35 am
Posts: 1198
Cornerman wrote:
1. Can you describe the growth of your shop (size and equipment)
it never stops growing, i'm an equipment junkie. I'm building another one now to setup more equipment.
Currently my shop at home is 800 sqft. and wont hold much more. Although I have a lot more.
5 lathes
1 cnc
2 mills
a few saws and sanders and a bunch of wood


2. Do you work alone?
I do, and when it comes to the creative type stuff I prefer to be left alone. I would love for my wife to possibly take interest one of these days. I wouldn't mind having a shop helper for stuff like turnings as that really takes up a lot of time and is boring. I don't mind the company when i'm not trying to focus on something that i'm short of time on before I get started.

3. What's your lead-time?
right now theres not one. Royce gave me one of the best pieces of advice ever. And that is not to claim to be a professional, so I don't. Professionals make commitments and keep them and right now my priorities don't allow me to make commitments on cues. I also do this for fun and don't want to become hostage to commitments and expectations for fear that i'll end up walking away all together. Right now I just give a fairly open ended approximation on time. I've been lucky that most of the guys who have contacted me are understanding and supportive.

4. Do you make Sneaky Petes?
I'm not sure I could bring myself to do it unless I started and finished in like 2 hrs flat. I'm 99 percent sure I would have to do something special to it. I do want to make a few of the cues like Murray has been making as I like them and it would give me a chance to get some in-expensive cues out and into the hands of players.

5. What's your feeling on SPC as pertains to building your cues?

Well, my statistics shows dat none of my cues has fallen apart yet, so my process mus be under control

6. Why aren't there more female cue builders?
hmm...maybe there afraid they can't fade the temptation to be creative with the lathe 8)

_________________
Just because Jake doesnt know how to do it, doesnt mean it cant be done!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATCM 11 Jake Hulsey
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:41 pm
Posts: 2122
Location: Lincoln NE
A follow up question, if I may;

What does a fox say?

_________________
You have come here from all over the world because society has no further use for you. This place will now be your home and land until your death.


Ryan Theewen
RAT cues/full service cue repair


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATCM 11 Jake Hulsey
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:35 am
Posts: 1198
thepavlos wrote:
Why did you decide to build cues?
What are you ultimately striving for in your cuemaking career?
Do you test hit your cues before delivering?



I guess the straw that broke the camels back was when i commisioned a very simple cue with simple specs and the guy missed the mark by 7 miles. I ordered a lathe the next day.

To retire with enough money at my real job to be able to afford to build cues fulltime....but i dont think thats the question your asking....I likely answered it in the earlier posts where friendships and fun are concerned.

You will never be able to find one of my cues being sold as "un-hit/un-chalked" I have a table at the house and usually try to put a few racks on every shaft. I usually know after hitting the first ball if its there. I've cut the ringwork off of several shafts and started over because they didnt feel like i thought they should. Un-explainable, sometimes a shaft just feels dead.

_________________
Just because Jake doesnt know how to do it, doesnt mean it cant be done!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATCM 11 Jake Hulsey
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:35 am
Posts: 1198
JimBo wrote:
Everyone says I ask all the questions yet I have more and if given 22 seconds could think of even more, damn lazyazz people.

1) Can we please see some pics of some of your work, maybe early work that lead up to what we have seen, or even some pics of work currently in the works?

[b]maybe


2) can we see some pics of your shop?

maybe

3) Can you tell us what inspired you when coming up with the idea for the ICCS cue?

actually, i was quite dissapointed when i saw what the theme was initially and found it to be rather boring. Regardless, it didnt matter as i had no intention of going or displaying at the ICCS. I did however think alot about how to implement the woods that comprised the theme and then it occured to me "camo". I quickly called Will and he was all about it and I was inspired so off i went. I dont feel like i really nailed it with my design intent when trying to really project that camo was the intent. But, i guess it gave a cool enough effect to get the point across.

4) do you have any dream cue ideas that you plan to build some day?

actually tons, but i've not figured out strategy on most of them yet as there rather technical.

Currently the dream cue i'm building is based on an old black and white print of a bridge in Europe that i've had for a while. The bridge has the old tapered rock type columns which transition into the steel arching support structure beneath. The columns of the bridge will be represented with a (3) point fullsplice prong and the ornate steel structural and handrail will grow out of the flat top point tips with inlayed silver and bronze. I find bridges fascinating and are an amzing source of inspiration

Jim <----Might ask more before the day is done[/b]

_________________
Just because Jake doesnt know how to do it, doesnt mean it cant be done!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATCM 11 Jake Hulsey
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:35 am
Posts: 1198
pharaoh68 wrote:
Sorry if these have been asked already. I'm too lazy to go back and read. ;-)

1) Is there any one (or several) cuemakers you'd like to collaborate with?

my hope is to someday collaborate with everyone who has mentored me. Richard Black would be first on the list as i'm not sure how much longer he'll be at it. He's my #1 when it comes to creativity and having the heart to go for it. I think I can learn a ton through being a part of his vision and how he approaches things....just not sure he'd ever consider it

2) What are your thoughts on ferrule-less shafts?

I've played with a few that hit ok, just really tough to get past the look. I'm a 3/4" ferrule kind of guy. Anything longer or shorter messes with my psyche

3) Is there any cuemaker out there that has imparted any knowledge or wisdom on you that helped you grow as a CM?

Theres a ton of guys who have given me more than i ever could have asked for. The best thing for my growth so far has been to just jump in and try to make it happen. Those guys are always there if i need them but if i dont try and fail then i'm limited to the knowledge and success of those who are willing to help.

4) How many cues have you built to date?

around 30 including the ones i still have. I do however have alot of practice cues that were only meant to refine processes

5) Is it me or does Jim look like Suge Knight?

WOW....just googled picture of Suge Knight?

_________________
Just because Jake doesnt know how to do it, doesnt mean it cant be done!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:35 am
Posts: 1198
63Kcode wrote:
Murray Tucker wrote:
Does Jake know about this ATCM?


Yes he does. It's #11 on his list!

Larry


Where were you 15 questions ago? i could have used some help then

_________________
Just because Jake doesnt know how to do it, doesnt mean it cant be done!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATCM 11 Jake Hulsey
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:35 am
Posts: 1198
tattoo wrote:
JimBo wrote:
Everyone says I ask all the questions yet I have more and if given 22 seconds could think of even more, damn lazyazz people.




Jim <----Might ask more before the day is done

not lazy......i am just FAT....


i've found stress to be the best way to beat fat

_________________
Just because Jake doesnt know how to do it, doesnt mean it cant be done!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group