pool and billiards forum

pool is cool
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: ATCM # 2 Mike Webb
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:08 pm 

The Woim wrote:
Mr. Webb,

Do you place much stock in the different grades of maple wood?

Which grade do you use for your shafts?

The Woim

Hello Sir
Everything I do on Maple is based on weight more than cleanliness, clean shafts are nice but sugar maple is what's used. Pretty tuff to get shafts without sugar no matter how much you pay for them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:21 pm 

Jazz wrote:
Mr. Webb,

Recut vs. veneers ... any preference and pros and cons of each (if any)? I personally like recut points .. they are way more purdy than veneers. I've heard that reason veneers were used was to create a stiffer forearm????

Also, will you ever divulge your low deflection shaft ideal? Failing that, will you just send me one? :D

Hi Jazz
For my particular set up, I prefer veneers over re-cuts, I can offer more variety in color combinations versus the choice of actual hard woods. I did re-cuts for quite a while just on a lathe between centers but have given up on them do to staring cross eyed for long periods of time.
As for low deflection shafts, Pretty much Proprietary as I just want to control the hit and playability of the cues I produce without after market shafts if at all possible.The after markets have contributed greatly to our industry but I think any Cue maker worth his salt would strive to produce his own rather than to use them on his cues. Of course that would mean that he would also have to play a little and be able to feel the difference in playable characteristics.

Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:02 pm 

Mike (or should that be "Sir" in this formal setting?),
Clearly inlays are just for show and most of us love them, but how about points? In your opinion, do they, in today's cues, serve any purpose other than show? I suppose that should be two questions...
Do short splice points serve any purpose other than show?
Do full splice points serve any purpose other than show?

opps third questions...
If so is either of them in terms of playability superior to a plain butt composed of three solid pieces of forearm, handle, and butt sleeve?

Steve.

"To die is nothing, but it is terrible not to live." Victor Hugo-Les Miserables

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:11 pm 

Mike, do you have a standard shaft taper on all of you shafts, or do you usually make every shaft custom? Also I know you will customize your butt dimensions, do you have a standard taper, joint, and butt size?

Rodney

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:19 pm 

Catscradle wrote:
Mike (or should that be "Sir" in this formal setting?),
Clearly inlays are just for show and most of us love them, but how about points? In your opinion, do they, in today's cues, serve any purpose other than show? I suppose that should be two questions...

Hi Steve,
Yes they effect balancing a cue, as in yours, Snakewood is heavier,
Do short splice points serve any purpose other than show?
Do full splice points serve any purpose other than show?

Points in general add another lamination to the butt which in my opinion makes it stronger if done properly.

opps third questions...
If so is either of them in terms of playability superior to a plain butt composed of three solid pieces of forearm, handle, and butt sleeve?

Would depend on the individuals perception of hit and playability.
Steve.

Thank you Image

Last edited by Michael Webb on Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:22 pm 

Rodp wrote:
Mike, do you have a standard shaft taper on all of you shafts, or do you usually make every shaft custom? Also I know you will customize your butt dimensions, do you have a standard taper, joint, and butt size?

Rodney

Hi Rodney
Shaft taper is pretty standard unless another is desired.
Standard joint is .840 whether it's 3/8X10, 11. Radial or 5/16X14, Butt taper may vary but I actually use three.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:25 pm 

Mr WEBB,

thank you kind sir in advance for taking questions.

1. Have there been any design elements you refuse or have refused to put in a cue do to personal taste, cost,
difficulty, concern about quality or look and feel of end result?? ie. colors, materials, weight (very heavy,
very light) theme, intricacy etc..

2. Whats your proudest moment as a cuemaker?

3. Are there any innovations of your own design that worked out exremely well? extremely bad?

4. If one train leaves Rhode island for NJ at 2 pm travelling at a rate of 73 mph and another leaves NJ traveling at
100 mph and Jerry orders a cue from you today. What would the approximate wait be? (cause i'd really like to
order one)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:04 pm 

Mike

Nothing much to ask you, but would like to thank you for posting on the forums. Think you provide a lot of good content without getting your feet stuck in the crap.

Thanks,
Joe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:30 pm 

Mr. Webb,

Whats the biggest innovation you've made over the years in building your cues?

Whats been that eureka moment?

Whats next?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:26 am 

Jersey jer wrote:
Mr WEBB,

thank you kind sir in advance for taking questions.

1. Have there been any design elements you refuse or have refused to put in a cue do to personal taste, cost,
difficulty, concern about quality or look and feel of end result?? ie. colors, materials, weight (very heavy,
very light) theme, intricacy etc..

Hi Jersey
I like to work with wood, just not a silver and gold kind of guy.

2. Whats your proudest moment as a cuemaker?
Acceptance, mutual respect.
3. Are there any innovations of your own design that worked out exremely well? extremely bad?
I think every Cue maker has their own special fixtures that they have created to help with certain aspects of cue construction, Could be bad on any given day.
4. If one train leaves Rhode island for NJ at 2 pm travelling at a rate of 73 mph and another leaves NJ traveling at
100 mph and Jerry orders a cue from you today. What would the approximate wait be? (cause i'd really like to
order one)

Around April of 2009

Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:32 am 

PBat51 wrote:
Mr. Webb,

Whats the biggest innovation you've made over the years in building your cues?

Whats been that eureka moment?

Whats next?

Hello Mr. Bateman
The biggest for me so far would be veneer and glue work, To actually understand it is a huge accomplishment. Next would be coring, Why, and when to do it versus how much more seasoning it will take once done.
What's next, Right now, survival, after that, I'm sure I'll think of something. One thing for sure is I'm never happy unless I'm learning something or at least trying to understand why it was done to begin with.
Thank you Image

Last edited by Michael Webb on Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:34 am 

cubswin wrote:
Mike

Nothing much to ask you, but would like to thank you for posting on the forums. Think you provide a lot of good content without getting your feet stuck in the crap.

Thanks,
Joe

Thank you Joe, I try real hard to avoid land mines, very easy to get stuck in the mud in certain forums.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:08 am 

thepavlos wrote:
Hi Mike
Do you ever have annoying "customers" who talk too much and come over at odd times? How do you handle such people? :mrgreen:
Paul

Hi Paul
Annoying, No, just sometimes not the best of times, Appointments are important. :mrgreen:
Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:57 am 

Michael Webb wrote:
cubswin wrote:
Mike

Thanks,
Joe

Thank you Joe, I try real hard to avoid land mines, very easy to get stuck in the mud in certain forums.

Mike a few years back at a Joss event in Hamden you and I talked about hit and I tried out a few cue/joint/shaft/taper/ferrule/tip configurations. You had a bunch of interesting thoughts and very unique hits with these different combonations. Can you speak about which one you choose to be the *WEBB* hit, or the process you use while talking to a customer to decide which is best for him/her?

Also how do you feel being a decent player plays into these different set ups?

Another question is I didn't follow the low deflection shaft thread can you talk about your low deflection shaft and what went into it's design?

Are you still doing repair work at tournaments?

Do you still talk, learn and share info from other cuemakers and since I know the answer can you give us the names of some of the guys you speak with on a consistant basis???

Jim <----Done for now, some great questions guys keep them coming.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:59 am 

I'd also like to urge some of the members here to post up some of your Webb cues so we can see some of his work. Even if they are already posted in other threads.

Jim <----Wondering why Mike is always online late at night?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next