RIP "Blud"

Another One Gone
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CHIHULY ON CUE
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:41 pm 

ThomasWayne wrote:

The cue was 100% speculative on my part, from when I first conceived the idea several years ago. Over the ensuing years I have visited a number of Dale Chihuly exhibits in different states and have acquired $$$ in books and DVDs about the man and his impressive body of work. Early on I made contact with the Chihuly Workshop in Seattle, and they found the entire project very interesting, up to and including sending me additional books on some of Chihuly's lesser known work. From that inspirational material I have a number of other cues planned for the future.

This initial effort, "Chihuly on Cue", was purchased immediately by the first collector who held it in his hands.

TW

I sincerely hope I get to see it in person one day.

Scott

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:16 pm 

Totally insane work... WOW!

ratcues wrote:
There are so many things in the world that inspire cue art. Another cue doesn't need to be one of them.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:43 pm 

There is a glass gallery in the next town over that may have some of Dale's work in it. I've walked by but never gone in as the prices on the pieces were in the 10's of thousands of dollars. Next time I'm by I'll stop and see if they have any and if it would be ok to take a quick photo to post here.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:19 pm 

Lenoxmjs wrote:
There is a glass gallery in the next town over that may have some of Dale's work in it. I've walked by but never gone in as the prices on the pieces were in the 10's of thousands of dollars. Next time I'm by I'll stop and see if they have any and if it would be ok to take a quick photo to post here.

I've been to many Chihuly exhibits, and have also sat in at their "hot house" while they were making pieces. There are several "gaffers" working simultaneously on each piece, all orchestrated by the man himself. It very much reminded me of how I would imagine a pagan ritual around a roaring fire with the high priest calling the cadence. If you like I'll post a few photos here, OR I can start a separate thread and populate it with photos I've personally taken.

TW

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:28 pm 

ThomasWayne wrote:
Lenoxmjs wrote:

I've been to many Chihuly exhibits, and have also sat in at their "hot house" while they were making pieces. There are several "gaffers" working simultaneously on each piece, all orchestrated by the man himself. It very much reminded me of how I would imagine a pagan ritual around a roaring fire with the high priest calling the cadence. If you like I'll post a few photos here, OR I can start a separate thread and populate it with photos I've personally taken.

TW

I would love to see those pictures!

Larry

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:05 am 

ThomasWayne wrote:
If you like I'll post a few photos here, OR I can start a separate thread and populate it with photos I've personally taken.

I'm interested.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:49 am 

Here's a couple off the top of the pile:

THE HOT SHOP DURING A LULL IN THE ACTION

A SMALL VESSEL IN A GALLERY SHOP

SAME VESSEL WITH MY OFFER TO PURCHASE (actually, bill included for scale)

Image Image

EXTREMELY COMPLEX CHIHULY PIECE IN A MUSEUM IN WASHINGTON

TW

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:34 pm 

I was in the place on the north end of lake union in seattle. They have many things on display and I was impressed.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:19 pm 

That Seattle studio was not there when we landed for our Alaska cruise in 2010 because we would have been there in a heart beat!!

Those pics remind me of the time we hit the Corning Glassworks on our way to Niagara Falls. We watched the hot room where one of the artists was creating a Lobster glass sculpture with his assistants. Fascinating from start to finish!! It was a Stueben piece.

What a museum with displays of Tiffany glass!! Highly recommended must-see in NY.

Barbara

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:41 am 

Yesterday my wife, who is a past President of the Master Gardeners of our county and far more refined and pleasant than I'll ever be as can be attested to by a member here, went to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens with some friends.

When she got home I heard the story of the beautiful plants and work done by CHIHULY which was integrated into the gardens She asked me if I had ever heard of CHIHULY, thinking I was some kind of low life dumb fuck who had no class and worldly knowledge. :shock: :lol:

When I said, "OF COURSE I HAVE" :lol: and began telling her about all the beautiful glass work he creates and how a cuemaker on a billiard forum created some pool cues with CHIHULY designs as his inspiration, she was amazed and star struck at my vast knowledge. 8) :mrgreen:

This morning she googled "Chihuly Atlanta Botanical Gardens" and pointed out all of the ones they saw, which is just about all of what you'll see here. It is FUGGING INCREDIBLE and even more impressive when seen in person as she described them. It looks like a lifetime of work. I have no idea how he (and crew) pumped out so many incredible designs. This is ENORMOUS!!

Click the link and enjoy!! You may want to schedule a trip to Atlanta to see if for yourself. She won't have to try selling me to go with her if another trip is planned. Click each picture individually to see a larger version or the arrow after you click the first picture to scroll forward. I am curious as to why he didn't make a "glass eye" for himself. It would have been perfect!

https://www.google.com/search?q=chihuly ... QIMQ&dpr=1

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:45 am 

SHOT THESE PHOTOS AT THE INDOOR & OUTDOOR CHIHULY EXHIBIT "GARDEN OF GLASS", NEAR THE SPACE NEEDLE IN SEATTLE, WA:

TW

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:00 pm 

wyattearp wrote:
.... She asked me if I had ever heard of CHIHULY, thinking I was some kind of low life dumb fuck who had no class and worldly knowledge. :shock: :lol:

When I said, "OF COURSE I HAVE" :lol: and began telling her about all the beautiful glass work he creates and how a cuemaker on a billiard forum created some pool cues with CHIHULY designs as his inspiration, she was amazed and star struck at my vast knowledge. 8) :mrgreen:

Even a blind squirrel will find a nut now and then ... well done Bill :P

Thanks for the pictures and learning opportunity Thomas, much appreciated.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:03 pm 

This is very cool stuff! Thanks to everyone for the pictures and education.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:09 pm 

davek wrote:
wyattearp wrote:
.... She asked me if I had ever heard of CHIHULY, thinking I was some kind of low life dumb fuck who had no class and worldly knowledge. :shock: :lol:

Even a blind squirrel will find a nut now and then ... well done Bill :P

Dave

Yep...all in the timing of being in the right place (sometimes wrong place here) at the right time. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:21 pm 

Just another reason why this pool and billiard forum is unique. I've been around plenty of glass art as many of course have (Josh Simpson is in my home county, and my ex-wife is a Fine Arts major), but wouldn't have known a Chihuly from a Chihuahua in Chula Vista.

{edit: my ex just told me that he did the sculpture at Mohegan Sun. New England JimBo Army members have then definitely seen his work in person!}

Fortunately for me, since I'm now in San Diego, we have a Chihuly exhibit in La Jolla to see: http://www.salk.edu/chihuly/photos.html

Guess a day of Chihuly is in order.

Freddie

- If it weren't for my mouth and my hands, I'd never get into trouble.

Name: Freddie Agnir - Questionable Engineer Cue Poet Manager
Hrs of Play: Just a few more than zero

Last edited by Cornerman on Fri May 20, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.