RIP Paul Dayton

Been a Tough Year
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Take a look at my balls.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:01 am 

A poolhall in the shitty closed last week. My local poolhall bought most of the equipment and was selling Vintage Centennials for 50 bucks a set.

Question to those who may be more knowledgeable. These are slightly smaller (noticeably with naked eye) then my Aramith Super Pros. Is that how these were back then or is that just from decades of playing and cleaning?

Attachments:
myballs.jpg
myballs.jpg [ 95.62 KiB | Viewed 2166 times ]

Disclaimer: I'm really a shit pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:08 pm 

That's a mismatched set, looks like 3 different sets mixed together.

They probably wore down from general play and cleaning over the last 30 years+

I have a set of the clay Dart balls, and had an original set of Centennials from 1960, they are both 2.25"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:41 am 

My local spot has the crown threes that have floated around the various pool halls
that have opened and closed in the area for the the last 25 yrs or so, and the Centennials
that went with them. after that much time they get plenty mixed up and worn down. The
pisser is trying to get a tight rack with different sized balls, and boy does a Delta rack
make it obvious.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:02 pm 

OMG, are they from the Pocket Billiards Lounge in Binghamton? I swear, there was only one matched set of balls among all the tables. This is where Joe Tucker's "Racking Secrets" was highly useful information. You could not get a tight rack anywhere. You definitely have some very old Centennials there.

Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:14 pm 

Barbara wrote:
OMG, are they from the Pocket Billiards Lounge in Binghamton? I swear, there was only one matched set of balls among all the tables. This is where Joe Tucker's "Racking Secrets" was highly useful information. You could not get a tight rack anywhere. You definitely have some very old Centennials there.

Barbara

Nope. These were from a poolhall called Plaza Billiards that recently closed in Baltimore City. Never had the chance to frequent there. Danny Janes (Joss Cues) got them and a few other sets after the place closed and he took them to the owners of Top Hat which is up the road from his shop and a poolhall I frequent.

The mismatch is obvious with the thickness of the font and the circles around the numbers, but for 50 bucks I didnt mind really. Mismatched ball sets are unfortunately a plague in poolhalls since sometimes the workers just dont understand that there are differences from set to set after their use.... but I get a tight rack with them on a magic rack :) I will probably continue to use my Super Pros at home. Need to get those polished.

Disclaimer: I'm really a shit pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:14 pm 

Yeah the balls with the smaller rounded "nubs" are earlier balls than the "v" shaped nubs... I still love the old Centennials..