RIP William Gentry

Hope There is a Pool Table in Heaven
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Gus Is Done
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:31 pm 

Just wanted to share the fancy Gus Barry just restored for me... He did an exceptional job.

Attachments:
Gus Joint 1.jpg
Gus Joint 1.jpg [ 184 KiB | Viewed 979 times ]
Gus Butt 1.jpg
Gus Butt 1.jpg [ 185.66 KiB | Viewed 979 times ]
Gus Whole 1.jpg
Gus Whole 1.jpg [ 183.79 KiB | Viewed 979 times ]
Gus For 1.jpg
Gus For 1.jpg [ 196.92 KiB | Viewed 979 times ]

Post subject: Re: The Gus Is Done
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:20 am 

Incredible refinish. I remember the pictures prior to Barry working his magic on this cue. Congratulations to you and Barry for resetting the clock on this cue.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:02 pm 

OMG, I'm drooling!! Congrats for getting the right refinish on THE CUE!! Barry is the BEST!!!

Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:59 pm 

Beautiful cue, that goes without saying, one of the fanciest butt sections I’ve ever seen on a 4 point cue. Gus is the master for sure and anyone would be lucky to own it. My curiosity is in the back story, clearly you aren’t a player in this sector of cue collecting so I’d love to hear how you were lucky enough to acquire this gem. Just owning it is great, but the true greatness is in the story, who was it made for, where has it been and how it ended up in your hands all are more intriguing to me then just the cue. I’m sure you might not know a lot of those pieces, but the back story and history is a lot more fun to me.

Jim <——- it’s all about the journey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:55 pm 

JimBo wrote:
Beautiful cue, that goes without saying, one of the fanciest butt sections I’ve ever seen on a 4 point cue. Gus is the master for sure and anyone would be lucky to own it. My curiosity is in the back story, clearly you aren’t a player in this sector of cue collecting so I’d love to hear how you were lucky enough to acquire this gem. Just owning it is great, but the true greatness is in the story, who was it made for, where has it been and how it ended up in your hands all are more intriguing to me then just the cue. I’m sure you might not know a lot of those pieces, but the back story and history is a lot more fun to me.

Jim <——- it’s all about the journey

The cue was made in the late 70s for a local Hawaiian man named Blane Maebo aka the "One Ton Man" affectionately named by Gus and family. I guess they knew Blane pretty well. The nick name arrose as he used to frequently send the Szamboti family "tons" of these very tastee Hawaiian chips. Barry said they always had them on hand. I'd guess they became another food group..lol.. The cue came to my attention when pictures were posted on a forum site with the new owner (owner of a local Hawaiin pool hall) asking questions and information about the cue which he had just aquired from the original owner Blane.. I responded in a private message and gave any information that I could share within my knowledge. We eventually talked over the phone for hours talking about Gus's work as well as Barry's. I told him that it was a very rare and valuable piece and that if he was going to hang onto any cue that would be the one. He said he talked to Barry and Barry confirmed it was a cue his dad made....We didn't talk for a some time after and then he contacted me out of the blue and asked me if I wanted the cue. I had said of course I want to cue but I don't think I would be able to afford it at this time. He asked me if there was someway we could work it out. Well we disussed a few options and we came to an agreement we both could live with. I immediately called Barry and told him about the cue and he wished me well with it. When I recieved the cue I realized, more than the pictures would show, that it was no closet queen. I mean this thing was as well played as any cue I'd ever seen. Well after mulling it over thats when I made the decision to see if I could get it restored or even should. I spoke with many collectors of many types of items not just cues and decided the cue warranted a good resto if anything to keep it from deteriorating any worse. I eventually spoke with a Szam collector and they told me Barry was not taking any restorations. Well that was not what I wanted to hear but it was what it was. I decided to talk to Dennis Searing and see if he would like to take it on and he said absolutely. I felt better that the cue would be in capable hands but was still bummed Barry would not take it in. Well I decided to call Barry and let him know that I decided to have the cue restored and that it was going to be in good hands since he wasnt doing restorations anymore. Well Barry was confused and he just said "don't listen to anyone else" when it pertains to him. Speak with him direct. Well he agreed to take it in. I called Dennis and explained the situation and he was glad Barry was available was going to do the resto even though I know Dennis would have loved to work on such a great example of his favorite maker...I would have loved to have Dennis do the work but I was ecstatic that "the cue would stay 100% Szamboti" (Dennis's words as well) and even more so when I received it back. It's just superb. Barry really took care of me. Thanks Barry!!.....The rest is yet to be written :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:22 am 

JimBo wrote:
....so I’d love to hear how you were lucky enough to acquire this gem. Just owning it is great, but the true greatness is in the story, who was it made for, where has it been and how it ended up in your hands all are more intriguing to me then just the cue......

To address the "lucky" factor, Yes I was lucky. I guess the the only reason I can think of is that I was in the right place at the right time and made an impression on the seller that made him remember me. He knew how desirable this cue was and had talked with many about it and after all that chose me. A personal back story is that I'd been trying to replace a fancy Gus I had in the 80's that burned in a car fire. I didn't share that with the seller in our initial conversations but did after we came to an arrangement and he was happy the cue was going to me. Ultimately I was given an opportunity and I just couldnt let that get away without every attempt to make it happen. I was "lucky" when I had the first Gus and though I knew what I had back then I couldn't possibly know how much it would mean not only to the cue world after Gus's passing but to me today. It came full circle and I feel even more so now.(Lucky)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:54 am 

Now you’re talking! Now you have something, anyone can buy a cue, but that story is worth 5 cues! I like the cue but I love love LOVE that nickname and the story. Now you have something! Owning a Gus is nice but having a story and Barry working on it is a journey, congrats!

Jim<—— fan of the Szamboti legacy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:07 am 

JimBo wrote:
Now you’re talking! Now you have something, anyone can buy a cue, but that story is worth 5 cues! I like the cue but I love love LOVE that nickname and the story. Now you have something! Owning a Gus is nice but having a story and Barry working on it is a journey, congrats!

Jim<—— fan of the Szamboti legacy

I feel the same Jim. The story and the journey was/is great to be a part of. This will be known from now on as "The One Ton Cue" and I'm glad to be it's entrusted guardian. This really does mean a lot to me, more than anyone knows and may sound corny to some but, I will try to make sure the "next" will be worthy of it's conservation...

Ok now that I've said that I'm gonna pull it out and admire, hit balls, admire, and the like..:)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:04 pm 

Skins wrote:
may sound corny to some but, I will try to make sure the "next" will be worthy of it's conservation...
:)

Sounds very noble, or someone will offer a boatload of money and you’ll box it up very good and ship her off. Sometimes the best laid plans are sidetracked by $$$$.

Jim <——- GLWTS ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:22 pm 

JimBo wrote:
Skins wrote:
may sound corny to some but, I will try to make sure the "next" will be worthy of it's conservation...
:)

Sounds very noble, or someone will offer a boatload of money and you’ll box it up very good and ship her off. Sometimes the best laid plans are sidetracked by $$$$.

Jim <——- GLWTS ;-)

Well It's no surprise that just about everything is "for sale" at some point..Nobody knows what the future might bring. That said as much as something might not be, to me, this cue is as much that....

I think it's pretty safe for me to say it's not for sale. Anytime soon anyway. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:08 am 

Greg Berger wrote:
Incredible refinish. I remember the pictures prior to Barry working his magic on this cue. Congratulations to you and Barry for resetting the clock on this cue.

Thanks much Greg. Resetting the clock is a perfect way to decribe it..:)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:10 am 

Barbara wrote:
OMG, I'm drooling!! Congrats for getting the right refinish on THE CUE!! Barry is the BEST!!!

Barbara

Thanks Barbara. I've ordered my own drool bucket. Bibs just dont cut it..LOL :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:47 pm 

Beautiful refinish. I have to admit, I kind of liked the yellowing finish over the ivory in the butt, but I get it. Great story as well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:04 pm 

Thanks for sharing the pictures and the story, Tim.

Great cue!!

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:59 am 

RunScott wrote:
Beautiful refinish. I have to admit, I kind of liked the yellowing finish over the ivory in the butt, but I get it. Great story as well.

I agree. I actually like the yellowing too. This cue had so much finish chipping on inlays and ringwork though as well as wrap issues that I came to the decision it needed work to keep the cue from further deterioration. I'm glad Barry took it on. It's now ready to withstand the next 40+ years. 8)

One thing it will have in common with it's previous life, it's not going to be a closet queen. I'm already working on that.. :mrgreen: