RIP Paul Dayton

Been a Tough Year
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Making adjustments.
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:59 pm 

So after the expo I dropped my cue off to my cuemaker to have a new shaft made and to have an extension made and hardware changed in my cue for it to screw into the butt of the cue.

So I just picked my cue back up on Saturday and I am very pleased with the work and the cue hits very well... but not the same. Yeah, it's a new shaft and the added hardware in the butt of the cue makes it feel completely different. Another thing that is throwing me through a bit of a loop is the deflection on the new shaft. I do not play with a low deflection shaft intentionally, however my last shaft really did not deflect much at all, I am now finding myself once again having to adjust for deflection on inside english shots.

Just a pain in the ass making the adjustments. It's only been 2 days of course but I made some significant progress tonight with where I am now aiming to make a ball with inside english. I had him make the new shaft 13mm. My old shaft was probably close to 12mm. I find myself now needed to exert a bit more effort when applying spin and follow to the ball. I feel like I now have to aim a bit more outside on the cueball.

I figured some of this would happen, which is why I waited until after the expo for the changes to be made. It's a lot of changes and my cue just feels like a completely different cue now.

Might use this thread to track my progress while I adjust.

Disclaimer: I'm really a shit pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

Post subject: Re: Making adjustments.
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:51 am 

I’m not anti LD shaft, but for this exact reason I don’t see any benifit to it. I can’t see taking a step back unless the end result will be 5 steps ahead. I personally find an increase in long straight shots with a thicker shaft, do you have any results on this???

Jim <——- doesn’t play good enough to take any steps back

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:31 am 

JimBo wrote:
I’m not anti LD shaft, but for this exact reason I don’t see any benifit to it. I can’t see taking a step back unless the end result will be 5 steps ahead. I personally find an increase in long straight shots with a thicker shaft, do you have any results on this???

Jim <——- doesn’t play good enough to take any steps back

Long straights aren't much of a problem, I will agree that they are easier with a thicker shaft, but I didnt have too much trouble with the smaller one either.

It's weird for me, I think I am subconsciously adjusting for the outside english because I don't see myself adjusting at all. I am only aware of adjusting for inside english shots...

But say a long straight with draw... usually not much of a problem for me... now I have to give a bit more effort to get the draw I want and also aim more to the edge of the ball (lower). I'm attributing this to the thicker shaft.

Disclaimer: I'm really a shit pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:19 am 

Admittedly, I really suck at technical conversations about pool and why this works and that doesn't but something I have found recently that elevated my game is simply bridge length. I was struggling with certain shots but I have cinched up my bridge so it's not so long and I have been having a lot of success, even with inside English.
No clue if this is even remotely helpful but thought I'd share :)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:09 pm 

Do the two shafts have the same ferrules?
You aim more outside of the object ball with inside English?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:41 pm 

I dont use LD shafts. To me, you have to compensate, no matter what you use. LD shaft= less CB deflection but more swerve. HD shaft=more CB deflection, less swerve. The bottom line is that who cares if you, for example, miss by 1/4" (HD) or 1/8" (LD), you still missed either way.

For me, I adjust by using no more than 1.5 tips of English until I get used to things, if I feel like I'm having issues compensating. For me, this also comes up if I play on a table with new cloth and polished, newer balls.

Eric

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:22 pm 

JoeyInCali wrote:

No ferrules on either shaft.

Ive noticed myself aiming more outside the ball with the thicker shaft mainly for follow and draw... I might be doing the same with inside english as well...

Why do you ask? What are you thinking? I assume there will be more squirt with aiming outside further. Maybe that is what is causing it.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:23 pm 

Eric. wrote:
I dont use LD shafts. To me, you have to compensate, no matter what you use. LD shaft= less CB deflection but more swerve. HD shaft=more CB deflection, less swerve. The bottom line is that who cares if you, for example, miss by 1/4" (HD) or 1/8" (LD), you still missed either way.

For me, I adjust by using no more than 1.5 tips of English until I get used to things, if I feel like I'm having issues compensating. For me, this also comes up if I play on a table with new cloth and polished, newer balls.

Eric

Bridge length is something to mess around with. I took 3 weeks off pool after the expo and while the cue was in the shop... that isn't really helping things either. Just feel uncomfortable on most shots at the moment since I took so much time off.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:41 pm 

Icon of Sin wrote:
JoeyInCali wrote:

Ive noticed myself aiming more outside the ball with the thicker shaft mainly for follow and draw... I might be doing the same with inside english as well...

Why do you ask? What are you thinking? I assume there will be more squirt with aiming outside further. Maybe that is what is causing it.

B/c it sounds like you're doing it backwards .
If the cue has more squirt, on inside english, you aim the hit to be a little fatter . Not outside of the object ball. More outside of the ob is for outside english ( on long distance shots where squirt is more than the throw ).

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:42 pm 

And, btw, if it's ferrule-less, you can ask the maker to drill a hole and use carbon fiber pad.
Voila! Less squirt.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:50 pm 

JoeyInCali wrote:
Icon of Sin wrote:
JoeyInCali wrote:

If the cue has more squirt, on inside english, you aim the hit to be a little fatter . Not outside of the object ball. More outside of the ob is for outside english ( on long distance shots where squirt is more than the throw ).

OK, very interesting. Will experiment and report back tonight.

Really appreciate all the feedback everyone.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:58 pm 

JoeyInCali wrote:
And, btw, if it's ferrule-less, you can ask the maker to drill a hole and use carbon fiber pad.
Voila! Less squirt.

Already use the pad. Have a 13mm shaft. How thick and deep should the hole be?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:57 pm 

JoeyInCali wrote:
Icon of Sin wrote:
JoeyInCali wrote:

OK, Just reread this and I think we have a miscommunication.

When I say I'm aiming more outside of the ball. I meant the cueball. I'm lining up more at the outside edge of the cueball. I know that with inside english I need to compensate as the ball squirts to the outside.

Ok, So shot for a little over 3 hours last night at the poolhall on a 9 foot gold crown with extended rails, and another hour tonight at home. I have a pretty good idea on how much squirt/deflection/whatever I am getting an know about where I need to aim the object ball to make it go in. So that is getting a bit more consistant and feels a lot like back when I had to do that regularly. So it seems for an easy to medium stroke I am not really getting any deflection at all. For a harder stroke with inside, I have to compensate and adjust my aiming to make the ball.

Outside english is still not much of a problem. I'm aiming what I feel (or what my brain is trained to think) is ghost ball and they are going in. Same with center, high and low. Long straights are no problem.

Like I side before, I feel like I am cueing more to the outside edge of the cueball, mainly on follow and draw. Still having trouble gauging short draw shots. Can easily draw 2 table lengths, but I cant seem to get it right when just needing to draw a foot. Worked on that some more tonight and learning the feel of that.

Getting there. Playing a lot and enjoying it. Nothing really competitive yet. I will say this after getting on a 9 footer for a few hours: that extension is the tits. Really comes in handy. Can now confidently shoot shots that would normally require a bridge and shoot them confidently with a better stroke then I would have with the bridge.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:26 pm 

Eric. wrote:

Eric

I just want to copy this post.

I don’t follow a lot of the aiming battles or debates but I’m unclear as to why people don’t understand this concept. I’m not an expert but I could not agree more with Eric on this. I feel a good reason for the LD shafts would just be consistency, a player could switch to any cue and use the same shaft and be up to speed rather quickly. But for someone like Heath who is going to play with the same set up day in and day out I think he will adjust and play at a level as high as his speed will allow.

Jim<——— playing at a speed that turtles laugh at

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:40 pm 

I’ve, historically, not been into the LD shaft craze as I’ve hated the feel of all that I’ve tried and have never done more than a handful of shots. That said, the carbon composite cues have piqued my interest and I just ordered the Becue. It should be here in 3-5 weeks and I’m looking forward to seeing what it’s all about.